State Authorization is a law specified in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 that requires higher education institutions to obtain formal permission from a state in order to conduct specific activities within its borders. Activities include:


  • Advertising
  • Clinicals
  • Distance Education Programs
  • Externships
  • Faculty Residing Outside of North Carolina
  • Internships
  • Non-Classroom Experiences
  • Online Degree/Education Programs
  • Practica
  • Proctoring
  • Professional Licensure
  • Recruiting


It may be against the law for The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) to provide any of the above activities to you if you live, receive, or participate in these UNCG Provided activities outside the state of North Carolina.


See if UNCG can provide your activity in the state in which you live:





The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges. SACS is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For additional information on accreditation, please refer to UNCG’s Office of Assessment and Accreditation.


Additionally, many of UNCG’s academic programs carry specialized accreditation specific to the field. For a list of accredited programs within UNCG, please refer to the Office of Assessment and Accreditation’s Review Schedule.